1. Naps // This one is pretty obvious really. Sometimes you just need a nap. Angry naps, sad naps, stressed naps. It's a good way to press reset on the day. Set an alarm, take a nap, and wake up with a cleared head. This only works if I get up right away though, otherwise I just end up lying about and feeling worse.
2. Internet // Sometimes a good old root through Tumblr, Pinterest, or your favourite blogs is all you need for a mood booster. It's good to look at inspiring images and posts about things of genuine interest. I use my Tumblr like a mood board of things that make me happy (with the occasional political post thrown in because I just can't help myself). I only follow blogs full of nice things and positivity. This is a much nicer place to have a scroll through than a Facebook feed full of rants and bad news.
3. Cooking // I love cooking. Like, a lot. Nothing makes me feel more content than perfecting a new vegan recipe, even if it is by fluke a lot of the time. Although, I am pretty good if I say so myself. Or maybe Freddie's just humouring me. We'll never know. Either way, I find nothing more satisfying than cooking a nutritious vegan meal from scratch then devouring it in a beastly manner.
4. Music // Music has always been a huge part of my life and since I was a wee baby emo, it was music I turned to in times of trouble. I love just spending time alone listening to music through my headphones. I love long train journeys for this reason. I always get off the train feeling refreshed and content after spending time with my iPod and headphones.
5. Hot chocolate // In our cupboard is a tin of hot chocolate powder, vegan marshmallows, vegan white chocolate, and vegan whipped cream. If I'm having a terrible day, Freddie makes me a glorious hot chocolate with all of the trimmings and we sit together quietly. Never underestimate the restorative power of a good hot drink. It's magical.
What works for me might not work for you, so let me know what your self care favourites are!